I was ecstatic the day I finished all my midterms and packed my suitcase to go back home for fall break. I was looking forward to seeing my parents again, having a comfortable bedroom for four days, shopping for new winter clothes, and of course, baking!
Apart from pumpkin, another ingredient I love in fall desserts is definitely apples, especially when it’s paired with caramel.
The day I was going to bake and ushered my mom out of the kitchen, she made it clear that she preferred a simple fluffy cake to have with her cup of tea compared to a rich dessert with loads of whipped cream or frosting (so I decided to save that for Thanksgiving).
I loved the idea of baking a caramel apple cake (not only because it fulfilled my mom’s requirement) but also because it didn’t involve too many ingredients that I didn’t already have at home, it was pretty easy to put together, and the finished product looked amazing.
This dessert consists of a wonderful, soft and fluffy spiced vanilla cake with small chunks of apple and a sweet caramelized apple topping. It’s decorated with a quick sprinkle of confectioners sugar and sliced almonds and ready to eat in the blink of an eye!
~Caramel Apple Cake~
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Add the unsalted butter and light brown sugar to a saucepan and melt them together.
- Pour the mixture immediately into the cake pan.
- 3 granny smith apples
- Juice of half of a lemon
- 1 1/3 cup All Purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp orange Zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Sliced almonds
- Confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and slice the apples and coat the slices with the fresh lemon juice.
- Set 5-6 apple slices aside to cut into smaller cubes that will be added into the cake batter.
- Arrange all the other apple slices on top of the caramel as desired. Be careful not to get burnt with the hot caramel.
- In one bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Toss the small cubes of apples that were set aside in 1 tbsp of the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and granulated white sugar.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and orange zest.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions alternating with 2 additions of the whole milk (Fold in 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by half of the whole milk, another third of the mixture, the rest of the milk, and finally the rest of the flour mixture).
- Fold the apple cubes into the cake batter.
- Transfer the cake batter from the mixing bowl to the cake pan which already contains the caramel and sliced apples.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 1 hour, let it cool for 15 minutes, then loosen the edges gently with a butter knife before flipping it onto a plate.
- Scatter sliced almonds on top of the cake and dust with confectioners sugar.