I love baking on my own and experimenting with new recipes but baking with my friends is always a lot of fun too! We take turns adding and whisking ingredients, the dishes are done much faster, and we get a sweet treat to enjoy while watching a movie together!
Usually when I’m baking with them, I tend to choose recipes that are quite easy, more forgiving, and that don’t take too long to bake. I would recommend leaving cinnamon rolls or cheesecakes, which often need to be set aside overnight, for sleepovers only.
An ideal recipe to bake as a group are scones! They are ready in no time and can be extremely versatile!! For instance, when my friends came over, I decided to make chocolate chip scones with pastry cream, garnished with berries. It’s a delicious treat and simple enough that you can afford to talk and get distracted while making it and still have plenty of time and flexibility to create a perfect dessert!
The scones paired with a generous amount of pastry cream are satisfying but not too heavy or sweet due to the tangy berries. The pastry cream itself is not only vanilla flavored but also contains orange zest to make the dessert even more fruity. Furthermore, the strawberries and raspberries go very well with the rich taste of the dark chocolate chips.
~Chocolate Chip Scones~
- 2 1/4 cup All Purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp water
- Mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In one bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and granulated white sugar.
- Using a fork or by hand, incorporate the cold pieces of butter into the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together the whole milk, vanilla extract, and one of the eggs and pour this mixture into the flour mixture before folding in the chocolate chips.
- Flour the kitchen countertop to work with the scone dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it to make a circle.
- Cut up the circle into 8 triangular shapes (similar to pizza slices) and transfer the resulting scones to the baking sheet.
- Beat the second egg with 1 tbsp of water to make eggwash and brush it on top of each scone so they obtain a golden brown color.
- Bake the scones in the oven for 18 minutes and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tbsp All Purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of an Orange
- To make the pastry cream, whisk together the egg yolks, granulated white sugar, flour, and cornstarch.
- Pour the whole milk into a saucepan and bring it just to a boil. When it starts to bubble, take it off the heat and pour it into the egg mixture whisking constantly at the same time.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and whisk constantly over the stove at medium heat until it becomes quite thicker.
- To finish the pastry cream, mix in the vanilla extract, and orange zest and let it cool to room temperature.
Slice each scone into 2 and spread some pastry cream in the middle. Then, add another spoonful of pastry cream on top and garnish with the mixed berries.
If you want to spend a fun afternoon baking with friends and create a wonderful but quick and incredibly easy summer dessert, give this chocolate chip scone recipe a shot!